Try some of these protein choices to start the day off right in the morning.
Including healthy proteins with your breakfast will really help you have a great start to your day. Coupling proteins with other essential nutrients in the morning gives you the proper energy you need to get your day started on the right note. Protein provides energy and helps build cell structure to support growth and repair. It also helps the immune system function properly. So as you can see, having protein as a part of a nutritious breakfast is an important way to start your day. Try some of these protein choices to start the day off right in the morning.
Eight Protein-Filled Breakfast Ideas
1. A high-in-protein breakfast cereal – Some cereals can have as much as 13 grams of protein. To get an added kick of protein, though, you can sprinkle your bowl of cereal with dry roasted sunflower seeds. This can add an additional 5 grams of protein to your breakfast.
2. A breakfast burrito – A simple egg and cheese on a corn tortilla is great, but go the extra mile and add beans to your egg and cheese, making it a breakfast burrito. In this way you have just added some good healthy amount of protein to your breakfast. This can give your day a start of 25 grams of protein.
3. Peanut butter and jelly on toast – Watch the highly processed peanut butters, though. Look for a less processed one so it has less sugars, or it will defeat the purpose. Even almond butter would be a great protein alternative. Use whole wheat toast and stay away from processed white breads. Using peanut butter or almond butter in place of just plain butter on toast can add 8 grams of protein to your meal to start your day.
4. Greek yogurt – Skip the non-fat yogurts and go straight to Greek for a higher protein yogurt. Add some berries like blueberries which are also high in protein, or some seeds or nuts that are high in protein, to really boost that protein intake in the morning.
5. Oatmeal – Stay away from the instant oatmeal and use the rolled oats. Cook in skim milk instead of water to add an additional 8 grams of protein. Sprinkle with nuts and apple, and drizzle with honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a tasty protein-filled breakfast idea.
6. Smoothie – Make your breakfast smoothie with kefir instead of milk or yogurt to add extra protein.
7. Muffins – Make your own; don’t buy from a bakery. This way you can be sure to include protein-rich foods, but also keep out high sugar and processed foods. Make a banana nut muffin with whole wheat flour. Spread with peanut butter to really amp up the protein in your muffin breakfast.
8. Banana and cottage cheese – Need a quick breakfast option? Have no fear. A banana with cottage cheese will give you 28 grams of filling protein to get your day started out on the right note even when you’re on the go.
Adding protein to your breakfast is a great way to get your morning started right. Make sure it’s the right proteins and don’t have a lot of sugary processed foods with it. You will be full right up until lunch time and will be sure to make better choices in your food throughout the day with these great starters.
Quick & Healthy Vegan Breakfast Ideas!